Friday, March 14, 2014

Who Is My Family? Lenten Devotional 10

We have all heard those sayings "you can't pick your family" and "blood is thicker than water". I disagree. You can choose your family. 

Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.” “Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked. Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:31-35 NIV)

I love my family, my biological relatives, and my married family and wouldn't trade them for anything. They have played a big part in who I am. But, I have family outside of those people that I share DNA or names with. God has seen fit to also bless me, and continues to bless me, with some amazing friends who help me along my faith walk. 

Whether we share a past, or similar interests, or just click in so many different ways, I feel we are members of the family of God and that transcends the earthly relationships. Just as Christ said in the verses above, our family members can extend past the genetic boundaries that usually define family. 

As you read this I am confident you are thinking of that "brother from another mother" or "sister from another mister" that you place as high in the family category as you would those biological relatives. 

When we moved to LaGrange in 1996, we were a young couple with a 6 month old with no biological family nearby. Members of the church quickly stepped in and became family members. Over the years, relationships have formed, changed, grown, and I can see the influence on my life and that of my husband and children. The community has embraced us and family has grown to include others even outside of our church. Though I still have a ways to go in running that race set before me, I know I do not run it alone, but with family. 

When we use the term, "blood is thicker than water", we should be careful to remember Whose blood made us family. The blood of Jesus covered our sins, restored us to a relationship with God, and allowed our family to grow.




No comments: