Saturday, March 8, 2014

Time to Visit The Doctor - Lenten Devotional 4

But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, “Why does he eat with such scum? ” When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” (Mark 2:16, 17 NLT)

Oh my goodness! This one cuts me to the core. On any given day, I could fall in either category. I guess if all are truly honest, the same can be said by everyone. 

Some days I think I have it all together. I can say that I am living right and can point out others' sins pretty easily. Giving myself pats on the back that I am not like that other guy or girl, and my little minor screw-ups are nothing compared to the SINS of others comes without effort! Sound familiar? We often judge our "righteousness" against the "righteousness" of others, and we do so based on our standard of righteousness.
Other days (like today) I am humbled. I know that I am a sinner. My sins are no better or no worse than any other person's sins in God's eyes. All sin looks the same to Him. In identifying myself as a sinner is not to say I am scum and will never be worthy of a relationship with Christ. My sin makes me worthy. 

Jesus came to save me from my sin. He pulled me from the depths of despair and the road to Hell I was traveling down. 

Sometimes we feel healthy and our bodies are fine that we don't go to the doctor. Nothing's wrong so let's rock along. How many times have you heard of a case where someone decides to go for a random check-up only to find his/her cholesterol is abnormally high or even some worse diagnosis? Likewise, how often do we feel our spiritual life is fine and we don't get regular check-ups with The Great Physician only to find out later we have a serious void in our hearts? 

Christ came to heal us and to heal us completely. He came to heal our hearts and draw us close to His. In doing that, we are able to see our sins and shortcomings, but instead of being the scum others see us as, we can rest knowing we are forgiven. 

One drawback is that others will continue to remember our sin long after it is forgiven. It can be a strong force to pull us back down. We must stand firm in our forgiveness and believe we are children of God regardless of our past, present, or future sins. Don't let others' judgment determine your righteousness or sinfulness. Go to The Physician for a check-up OFTEN! 

No comments: