Sunday, March 9, 2014

Put On A Happy Face! - Lenten Devotional 5

So today we spring ahead. My intention last night was to go to bed an hour early so I wouldn't "lose" an hour's sleep. We all know the saying about good intentions, don't we? I didn't go to bed early. In fact, I was later than usual and now I feel like I have definitely been traveling on that road that is paved with good intentions. 
As with any day though, we are given a choice of how we will face it. Do I get up grumpy and stay grumpy, using the excuse that I didn't sleep enough? Or do I sit here and consciously decide I will take the following verse to heart?

Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation. (Psalms 100:4, 5 NLT)


I sit here contemplating why I didn't get the sleep I so desired. Well, it was because my fairly newly licensed daughter was not home from a babysitting job when I had planned to go to bed. It is hard to rest until I know my babies are home safely. Some might say "I will just sleep later in the morning." That's not an option for me either. I have to rise early to get myself and my family ready for church. 
Sooooo, with all that said, I consciously decide not to complain about my loss of sleep because I rested easier knowing my daughter was safe last night and I rose early this morning to worship my Lord! Who could be grumpy about that?
God is good and His steadfast love abounds forever. 
Putting on my happy face this morning...


No comments: