Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What Am I Missing Here? - Lenten Devotional 7

E.M. Bounds (USA, 1835-1913) 

"All God's plans have the mark of the cross on them and all His plans have death to self in them."


Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Psalm 51:10-12 ESV)



Ever get an unsettling feeling and can't figure it out? You begin to mentally sort through your life to see what may be out of place. Good job, good health, good kids...everything is rocking along. Yet, you're unsettled. 
Once you get to the point where you can't figure it out, you turn to God and say "what am I missing here?" Then it hits you- you are missing Him. Things have been going so well and you have all under control that you forget to acknowledge or thank Him. Other things in life seem to be ahead of God. Too busy with all of the good things in life to make time for God. 
When we reach that point of "what am I missing?", our hearts are longing for Christ. We want to be content. We want that closeness with Him. We want that right Spirit within us. 
That unsettled feeling is Christ calling us back to Him. He wants that closeness with us, too. He misses us, too. Sin separates us from God, but not always sins of commission, sins of omission. We forget to put Him first. We let the "idols" of our world get in the way. 
So often I use the phrase "life gets in the way" when I haven't done something that I probably should have made higher on my priority list...like calling a friend or relative, volunteering in some service-oriented project, or even just reading my bible. I do get caught up in the daily tasks of life that I forget to slow down and acknowledge God as my Lord and Provider. 
Today, I ask "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit."

No comments: