Monday, February 11, 2013

My Uncle Barry

I awoke this morning with bittersweet emotions. As I come to the realization that I will soon be saying goodbye (for a time) to a man I have known and loved all of my life, my heart is heavy, but my mind is full of wonderful memories.
Just over a week or so ago, we received news that my beloved Uncle Barry had what appeared to be cancer. Within a few days, we learned there were no treatment options due to its rapid progression. That kind of news hits you like a truck. Emotions began to flow. First instinct was to drop everything, hop in the car, drive 700 something miles, and spend every last minute I could with him and my family. Reality tells me though that is not possible. My obligations keep me here. Here, so far away from my extended family and longing to be there with them through this difficult time.
As I sit here, I find comfort in my memories of Uncle Barry. One of the earliest and most impressionable ones has to be how he would hold me down and tickle me til I nearly wet my pants. Many of you will know that tickle. How you absolutely hate it one minute, begging for it to end at any cost...the next you are right back over for more. Oh and his hugs were like no other. They were big and strong, and like the tickle, had a little something extra. He would snort like a pig either in your ear or on your neck while scrubbing his chin stubble on you. Chills to the Nth degree shooting all over as the result. As much as you squirmed and pretended not to like it, begging to stop, you loved every minute of it.
Even though I thought he had the strangest accent (Pennsylvania Dutch/Eastern Shore of Maryland brogue), I was the one with the strange accent when on his turf. He never missed many opportunities to point out my Georgia peach way of talking. I think he secretly envied my long "I" sounds in "shyyy" and "spriiiiite".
In my adult years, I could always count on an email or two a day from him. He wanted to make sure I received the money angel and sent it to 12 or more friends, or keep me up to speed on politics even though we didn't really see eye-to-eye on those, or the ever funny growing old jokes. I could almost set my watch and knew when he was at his computer by the timing of the emails. I loved seeing his name in my inbox.
We also shared a love of motorcycle riding. As James and I took a 2500 mile road trip a few summers ago, we were able to stop in and stay with him and my Aunt Cathy for a couple of nights. We shared a love for riding and talked about his ride also.
Last night, I had a dream about Uncle Barry. Nothing profound or even strange. I was back in his living room, giving him a hug, and simply saying "I love you."
I realize I will not have the opportunity to hug him again (at least not here on earth), but I will relive each and every hug I have had until we meet again.
I love you, Uncle Barry. We will meet again one day, and I will be ready for that hug.


No comments: