Sunday, February 24, 2013

El Salvador Mission Trip 2013 (Day 1 of 7)

This is the first of a seven part series taken from my daily journal while in Ahuachapan, El Salvador participating in a mission trip with the LaGrange District of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church.

Day 1: 2/16/2013
I left LaGrange with anticipation and some fear, both of the unknown and unfamiliar. I was leaving my family behind, my family I treasure to the ends of the earth. I was leaving them for 8 days. Over the course of 6 months, and with the help of some donations, I paid for this trip and of the necessary preparations ahead of time. This money was financial support that I took from our household, money that could have served my family. I took the money to fund my trip. Satan began to work a number on me. I began to ponder how that money could have benefited my family.
Then, as I landed in El Salvador, and we began to ride the streets of towns, roads of countryside, I realized GOD is using that money for HIS benefit. It was not for ME. It was for HIS kingdom.
I saw slums and shanties. I saw roadside markets and grills manned by locals who looked as they are barely surviving.
Yes, the money could have bought my family more or paid down a credit card balance. However, it enabled me to be right here, right now, with this group of God's children, to serve more of God's children.
I feel like I am being obedient to His call. Here I am, Lord. Send me.

No comments: