Thursday, February 28, 2013

El Salvador Mission Trip 2013 (Day 5 of 7)

This is the fifth of a seven part series taken from my daily journal while in Ahuachapan, El Salvador participating in a mission trip with the LaGrange District of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church.

Day 5: 2/20/2013

Luis
The morning was slow for me. Not much to do. What's that old saying? "An idle mind is the devil's workshop"? Well, the devil was working on me today.
I spoke to James on the phone yesterday for the first time since leaving on Saturday. Hearing his voice just ruined me. The homesickness began to set in. I miss him and the children terribly. I began to doubt if I made the right decision in coming. After not sleeping extremely well, I woke up a little sad and missing my family even more. Part of me was wishing I hadn't come. Why did I spend so much money that could have helped my family? Sounds familiar, eh? Hasn't the devil already used that trick on me? Why am I still listening?!?
One of the sweet abuelas
The morning dragged on and on and I really felt useless. I couldn't paint because the fumes made me feel so sick if I were around them more than about 20 minutes. Other small groups had been farmed out so there at the church I sat. Thinking too much. Allowing Satan to invade my thoughts.
Jenny
I made my way through lunch, and then had my scheduled 30 minute prayer shift. Amazing what God can do when you lay your troubled heart before him. As I poured out my heart to God about all that was in my head, I felt lighter and more at ease. I lifted up specific prayers for each individual on our team, too. By the time my shift ended, I was in a better state of mind and heart.
Jenny, Clenda, and Riley



As I came out of our makeshift chapel, it was time to set up for bible school. Before long, the children were coming in and once again passing out hugs. It was therapeutic to say the least.
I AM supposed to be here. I have a place on this team. I do still miss my family so much it hurts, but I need to be here.
I cannot let Satan rob me of the joy coming out of this trip.
I need to be here!
I have a place on this team.

No comments: