Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What LaGrange First UMC Means to Me

"The church is not a building,
The church is not a steeple,
The church is not a resting place,
The church is a people
I am the Church, you are the Church,
We are the Church together.
All who follow Jesus all around the world,
Yes, we’re the Church together.”


August 1996. Fifteen years ago this month we came to LaGrange First. Within the first hour after church, we were visited by Oleeta Aspinwall and Memory Johnson. Such a warm welcome to the three of us at the time, new in town, no family here. These ladies ministered to us through the Andrew Team. They may not have realized the impact they made, but they shared the love of Christ with us. We soon found our place in a wonderful Sunday School class, The Seekers, and joined UMW and UMM. Through these ministries of the church, we were able to meet and fellowship and grow in Christ with others.

July 2004. Seven years ago last month we came back to LaGrange First after having lived in Newnan for four years. Within a very short time, we were encouraged to rejoin the FEAST group rotation. If you have not experienced this ministry of First Methodist, you are missing out on a true blessing. Through this outlet, we have formed lasting friendships and been truly blessed with the connections that may not have been made otherwise. After a few months, I stepped up just as a helper in the children’s choir program. Before long, I was actually leading the choir. This is something I never thought would happen since the only place I can sing on key is in my car, but only alone, because the acoustics are best when I am alone. Nevertheless, I led, then assisted Julianne Lynn for quite some time. You would not believe the blessings I received! My heart was warmed each and every week, and especially on Sundays when the Tuneful Tots performed. I stepped out of the box and took a chance doing something I really wasn’t qualified to do, yet God blessed me in doing it.

Today. I find myself having served on committees, you know-- the behind-the-scenes workers, completed a Disciple 1 bible study (which I highly recommend if you have the opportunity. Make the time to do it), signed up for the Visitation team to spend time with shut-ins and such, and still in a wonderful Sunday School class that challenges me each and every week to grow in Christ.

I want to be here, not because it is expected, or because I want to set a good example. I want to be here so that I can continue to grow in Christ, so that God’s Holy Spirit can grow in me. “Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me, O God.” My spirit is renewed through those, who are many, who have given of themselves. Because they gave, they served, I have been touched by so many ministries of this church. I have been so blessed. As I am blessed, I can go out and share the love of Christ I have received. I can give to the community through other ministries such as Camp Viola and the Pregnancy Center. There is something here for everyone…we just need to find our niche. Had just one person decided it was too much trouble or effort to take part in a ministry of this church, my blessings would have not been as abundant.

My motive is to serve others, to grow in my relationship with Christ, and to live for eternity with God. I cannot do this on my own. I need this church.

"The church is not a building,
The church is not a steeple,
The church is not a resting place,
The church is a people
I am the Church, you are the Church,
We are the Church together.
All who follow Jesus all around the world,
Yes, we’re the Church together.”

No comments: