Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thank you, Sheila.

Today, I sit with a heavy heart. Part of me saddened upon hearing the news of Sheila Richards’ passing, while another rejoices that she is healed and in the arms of the Lord. Sheila was a DJ for J93.3 years ago, and in more recent years, had returned to the Atlanta airwaves. In 2005, through the Emmaus community emails, we learned Sheila had ovarian cancer and were encouraged to drop a card or line with well wishes. I decided to send her a quick note, telling her we would be praying, and that my dad was battling lung cancer at the same time. Within a short time of hitting the send button on the email, I received a response.
My email-
Sheila,
My dad just had his first round of chemo. I had everyone in the world praying for him. Now Day Five and no adverse effects. We will be praying that you receive the same results.
In Christ's Love,
Jennifer

Her reply:
Sheila Richards Harper wrote:
Thank you so much, Jennifer. Everyone has such stories to share, I know God is giving me my own story now. I hope to have a story like your father. I feel great right now, just this big huge stomach wound, trying to heal. I feel this first round is going to make everyone go wow, prayer works, let’s keep it up. I pray God gives me the opportunity when this is all over, to let the world know of His power, His glory, His love. And to help other women know how important it is to stay healthy, not to look good, but for your health. And to be stronger with doctors, to listen to their bodies. I had now warning, that’s the thing with ovarian, it’s silent. As soon as I started symptoms, I went immediately to doctors, within 2 weeks, diagnosed with cancer.
Thanks for sharing with me about your dad. I am so loved by so many, I had no idea. God is just pouring it all out on me at one time. I am very blessed. I shall pray for your dad, what is his name? I’ll ask my friends to pray, too.
Blessings,
Sheila
You might be the only example of Jesus someone sees today...LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!!!


This short email thread sparked an ongoing prayer intercession. She prayed for my dad, and we prayed for her. My dad was not a religious, church-going man. However, something changed when I told him about Sheila and her willingness to pray for him. Not a visit or phone call went by that he didn’t ask about her and her progress. I included her on my email updates regarding him also. The day of his funeral, unbeknownst to her (pre-Facebook) he had passed, she called me…just to say she was thinking of me and my dad. When I told her he had died, she prayed. The odd thing is, for the last 6 years, Sheila has been a friend to me, yet I have never met her in person. We talked on the phone, emailed, Facebooked, etc.
I am certain there are others who have similar stories about Sheila. She was a loving and giving person. She looked past her own circumstances to pray for others. She did just as her email tagline says “Let Your Light Shine!!!” She didn’t just say it…she lived it. Sheila Richards shined her light brightly. Hopefully, the world will not darken with her absence, but that her light will continue to shine through those she has touched.
As she entered the gates of Heaven this morning in a complete and new body, free of pain and disease, the angels sang, and Jesus received her with open arms. She has been healed. Our prayers have been answered. She fought the good fight and now has received her reward.
As I close, I imagine my dad being there to hug Sheila and to thank her for her concern and prayers. I imagine there are others standing in line to welcome her. I am sure many that she didn’t even know she touched. As I imagine this meeting, I am reminded of the lyrics in the Ray Boltz’ song "Thank You":

One by one they came
Far as your eyes could see
Each life somehow touched
By your generosity
Little things that you had done
Sacrifices you made
They were unnoticed on the earth
In heaven now proclaimed

And I know that up in heaven
You're not supposed to cry
But I am almost sure
There were tears in your eyes
As Jesus took your hand
And you stood before the Lord
He said, my child look around you
For great is your reward

Thank you, Sheila. I am so glad you gave.

No comments: