Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What Can I Do in This World?

I have recently had opportunities that have enabled me to grow in my life. It amazes me how God uses people and circumstances to reach others. Some may never know how their actions or situations can affect another.

Lately, I have encountered several families and individuals whose circumstances and/or comments have impacted me personally. The effect has not been the same for all instances.

A few cases have involved illness or loss that have prompted me to pray. I have made prayer a daily part of my life for a long time, but lately, it has become a more prominent part. It has become a privilege to pray for others. I find myself saying little breath prayers for others throughout the day. I take time to pray for myself specifically, too. I take time out of my day, separating myself, and to prayerfully offer focused intercessions to God on behalf of others. I do not share this to say, "Hey, look at what a good person I am!" I say this to share another little way I am finding my place.

Another recent event has been the abstinence training I am involved with in the schools. Through the coach whose class we are in this week, I learned a "help"ful acronym. He uses H.E.L.P in aiding kids with making wise decisions in actions. When faced with a decision to make, four questions can be asked to determine the course of action.
H is for "is it healthy?"
E is for "is it ethical?"
L is for "is it legal?"
P is for "would parents approve?"
Unless one can answer all in the affirmative, then one should probably refrain from the action. While this is a teaching tool used with high schoolers, I believe if all analyzed situations in this manner, society as a whole could improve. Now, I realize we don't live in a perfect world, and we can't change everyone, but we can change ourselves.

Mahatma Gandhi said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."





No comments: