Friday, September 2, 2011

Back Where I Come From


As my blog is titled, “My Place in this World”, most of my writings are somewhat centered on finding or identifying my place, my purpose. Some of the posts have dealt with my tasks as a mother, wife, Christian, and even an activist in a sense. I am not writing for anyone, or to accomplish anything, except maybe to share my thoughts and faith with the world J
We all have a place in this world. We are all part of God’s creation whether we believe it or not. Should you decide you evolved from fish or monkeys or some other creature, I believe I was beautifully and wonderfully made by the Master Creator God. As stated in Psalm 139:13-16,

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

As part of my search of my place in this world, I found it necessary to dig a little and find out where I came from… a little family history, if you will. I began in the most logical place, as anyone would begin to look…yeah, I googled. I had a few names and places from relatives that I could play around with. My search took me to an amazing site of www.familysearch.org . The web is full of sites and an abundance of information, but I am a cheapskate and refuse to pay for any info. I found a ton of information such as census records, military registrations, and other documents on this site for without cost or registration.

On my paternal side, I have been able to go back 5 and 6 generations on various lines. Names like Greenfield and Sloop, and the ever common Jackson have popped up. It excites me to see the hand-written census records of 1850 and 1860. Imagining my ancestors living in antebellum times, thru the “War Between the States” and beyond has become a favorite pastime for me. As I had been told a line of my ancestors were Cherokee Indian, census records only had three racial distinctions pre-1900’s… white, black, or mulatto, so most were listed as mulatto in my line. I find it funny how things have changed when you see all of the choices of today on any type of application.

As I continue on my quest to find or even make my place in this world, I will take a moment to remember those who have gone before me. I will honor those who have toiled to support their families and instill values for generations to come. I have a place in this line of people. More importantly, I have a place in God's family, and will do my best to honor that heritage, also.

The Day Family 1922

 "Back where I come from
Where I'll be when it's said and done
I'm proud as anyone
Back where I come from"


No comments: