Wednesday, July 8, 2015

There Are Far Better Things Ahead Than Any We Leave Behind



“Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.”
Isaiah 43:18-19 New International Version (NIV)

Humans are curious by nature I think. Our minds wander and wonder about many things throughout the day, and even throughout the night at times. Social media connections contribute immensely to the mind-racing at times. Hours can be spent, I dare say wasted, on Facebook searching for old acquaintances/friends, or quietly stalking people’s pages. Checking out the old hometown newspaper can also be a great source of angst at times.

It occurred to me the contradiction in wanting to remove myself from my old life yet often clicking on links that will take me right back. Sometimes, I find a pleasant memory, but all too often, something appears that only renews heartache. Curiosity killed the cat, right?

It is okay to know where one comes from. However, I believe it is more important to know where one is going. It is important we know our history, but we must not dwell there. We cannot change the past, but we can change the future. Each day we must choose to move forward. Philippians 3:13-14 says Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

It matters not who I was, but who I am now and will be tomorrow.


1 comment:

Squeakyfeet1 said...

Good post!

-I got off Facebook a few years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Keep the faith!