Friday, October 28, 2011

It's All About Respect


As I began participating in the Abstinence Training program that First Choice leads in the classrooms of area schools, I was a little apprehensive. I was unsure if that was the route that God wanted me to take.  For nearly five years, I served as a client advocate, but as with a lot of things, I felt my season was over in that position. I stepped back and took time away from the Center. However, also as with a lot of things, God was pushing me back, but I didn’t know in which position.

One day, out of the blue, I received a request from Carol, our Abstinence Coordinator. She needed help in the classrooms. Either she caught me on good day, or God just took over (I prefer the latter), and I accepted. As I mentioned, I was a bit apprehensive even after accepting.

After sharing classes with Carol as part of my training, and then leading, then solo classes, all apprehension is gone. I have fallen in love with this endeavor. Going into the classes, meeting students of all socioeconomic and racial demographics, and watching them open up and respond to our teachings is so fulfilling. I leave each day looking forward to the next, and have bittersweet feelings at the end of the week when I have to move on.

The one thing I have learned with each of these classes and students is that they want to be treated with respect. When we share knowledge with them, and help them explore the consequences of actions, we leave the choice up to them. We don’t go in with heads shaking and fingers wagging saying, “Sex is bad. Don’t have sex.” We equip them and leave the choice to them so are empowered. I do believe these kids can make the right decision. We do not say, “You should wait to have sex, but we really know you won’t so at least use a condom.”  If we were to do that, they would feel as though we have no faith in them whatsoever. That is not the respect they so crave.

We share the love of God with them, but not directly. We share it by telling them that we care about them, and want them to make wise, informed decisions. We tell them we know they are capable of such decisions. That is all they want and need. They need someone to educate them, encourage them, and trust them. Isn’t that what we all want and need?

Just a little added something....
Troup County Teen Maze Event
Just this week, I was able to take part in a local event geared to equip teens with knowledge that they can use to make wise and informed decisions. From sexual experiences to drunk driving, teens were able to explore the consequences of their decisions.

No comments: